Effective as of April 18, 2018
Who we are
YenePay Financial Technologies P.L.C is a fin-tech company based in Ethiopia that provides localized digital tools and services that create an impact on the digital market place and the financial industry at large.
Your privacy rights
This page describes your privacy rights regarding our collection, use, storage, sharing and protection of your personal information. It applies to the YenePay website and all related sites, mobile applications, services and tools regardless of how you access or use them.
What is Personal Information?
Personal Information means data that identifies you and is associates with a specific person. Personal information does not include information that is anonymous, aggregated, or is no longer identifiable to a specific person.
Scope and consent
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
We collect the following types of personal information in order to provide you with the use of YenePay Services, and to help us personalize and improve your experience.
Information you provide to us: We may collect and store any information you provide us when you use YenePay Services, including when you add information on a web form, add or update your account information, participate in community discussions, chats, or dispute resolutions, or when you otherwise correspond with us regarding YenePay Services.
When you use YenePay Services, we also collect information about your transactions and your activities. In addition, if you open a YenePay account or use YenePay Services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Contact information, such as your name, address, phone, email and other similar information.
- Financial information, such as the full bank account numbers and/or credit card numbers that you link to your YenePay account or give us when you use YenePay Services.
- Detailed personal information such as your date of birth or national ID number.
We may also collect information from or about you from other sources, such as through your contact with us, including our customer support team. Additionally, for quality and training purposes or for its own protection, YenePay may monitor or record its telephone conversations with you or anyone acting on your behalf. By communicating with YenePay, you acknowledge that your communication may be overheard, monitored, or recorded without further notice or warning.
Authentication and Fraud Detection: In order to help protect you from fraud and misuse of your personal information, we may collect information about you and your interactions with YenePay Services. We may also evaluate your computer, mobile phone or other access device to identify any malicious software or activity.
When you download or use our mobile applications, or access one of our mobile optimized sites, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable location services in the device’s setting’s menu. If you have questions about how to disable your device’s location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or the manufacture of your particular device.
How We Use the Personal Information We Collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. We may use your personal information to:
- provide YenePay Services and customer support;
- process transactions and send notices about your transactions;
- verify your identity, including during account creation and password reset processes;
- resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- manage risk, or to detect, prevent, and/or remediate fraud or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- detect, prevent or remediate violations of policies or applicable user agreements;
- improve the YenePay Services by customizing your user experience;
- measure the performance of the YenePay Services and improve their content and layout;
- manage and protect our information technology infrastructure;
- provide targeted marketing and advertising, provide service update notices, and deliver promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- contact you at any telephone number, by placing a voice call or through text (SMS) or email messaging.;
We may contact you via electronic means to notify you regarding your account, to troubleshoot problems with your account, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed, or as otherwise necessary to service your account. Additionally, we may contact you to offer coupons, discounts and promotions, and inform you about YenePay Services and the services of our corporate family. Finally, we may contact you as necessary to enforce our policies, applicable law, or any agreement we may have with you. When contacting you via phone, to reach you as efficiently as possible we may use, and you consent to receive, autodialed or prerecorded calls and text messages. Where applicable and permitted by law, you may decline to receive certain communications.
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize YenePay Services, content, and advertising. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us, simply indicate your preference by logging into your account and going to the Settings section and updating your preferences, or by following the directions that may be provided within the communication or advertisement.
We respect your communication preferences. If you no longer wish to receive notifications via our application, you can adjust your preferences by visiting the settings page of the application.
When you access our website or use YenePay Services, we (including companies we work with) may place small data files on your computer or other device. These data files may be cookies, pixel tags, “Flash cookies,” or other local storage provided by your browser or associated applications (collectively “Cookies”). We use these technologies to recognize you as a customer; customize YenePay Services, content, and advertising; measure promotional effectiveness; help ensure that your account security is not compromised; mitigate risk and prevent fraud; and to promote trust and safety across our sites and YenePay Services.
How We Protect and Store Personal Information
We store and process your personal information on our computers in North America, Asia, Europe and elsewhere in the world where our facilities are located. We protect your information using physical, technical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure and alteration. Some of the safeguards we use are firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to our data centers, and information access authorization controls.
How We Share Personal Information with Other YenePay Users
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
When transacting with others, we may provide those parties with information about you necessary to complete the transaction, such as your name, YenePay Short Code, contact details, or other information needed to promote the reliability and security of the transaction. If a transaction is held, fails, or is later invalidated, we may also provide details of the unsuccessful transaction. To facilitate dispute resolution, we may provide a buyer with the seller’s address so that goods can be returned to the seller. The receiving party is not allowed to use this information for unrelated purposes, such as to directly market to you, unless you have agreed to it. Contacting users with unwanted or threatening messages is against our policies and constitutes a violation of our User Agreement.
We work with third parties, including merchants, to enable them to accept or make payments from or to you using YenePay. In doing so, a third party may share information about you with us, such as your email address or mobile phone number, to inform you that a payment has been sent to you or when you attempt to pay a merchant or third party. We use this information to confirm that you are a YenePay customer and that YenePay as a form of payment can be enabled, or to send you notification of payment status.
If you link your loyalty or gift card of a YenePay merchant to your account, we may share your card number with that merchant when you pay using YenePay.
Please note that merchants, sellers, and users you buy from or contract with have their own privacy policies, and although YenePay’s User Agreement does not allow the other transacting party to use this information for anything other than providing YenePay Services, YenePay is not responsible for their actions, including their information protection practices.
How We Share Personal Information with Other Third Parties
We may share your personal information with:
- Financial institutions that we partner with to jointly create and offer a product. These financial institutions may only use this information to market YenePay-related products, unless you have given consent for other uses.
- Law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties pursuant to a court order, or other legal process or requirement applicable to YenePay or one of its affiliates; when we need to do so to comply with law; or when we believe, in our sole discretion, that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity or to investigate violations of our User Agreement.
- Other unaffiliated third parties, for the following purposes:
- Customer Service: for customer service purposes, including to help service your accounts or resolve disputes (e.g., billing or transactional).
- Shipping: in connection with shipping and related services for purchases made using YenePay.
- Legal Compliance: to help them comply with anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing verification requirements.
- Service Providers: to enable service providers under contract with us to support our business operations, such as fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, customer service and technology services. Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- Other third parties with your consent or direction to do so.
If you open a YenePay account directly on a third party website or via a third party application, any information that you enter on that website or application (and not directly on a YenePay website) will be shared with the owner of the third party website or application. These sites are governed by their own privacy policies and you are encouraged to review their privacy policies before providing them with personal information. YenePay is not responsible for the content or information practices of such third parties.
How You Can Access or Change Your Personal Information
You can review and edit your personal information at any time by logging in to your account and reviewing your account settings and profile. You can also close your account through the YenePay website. If you close your YenePay account, we will mark your account in our database as “Closed,” but may retain personal information from your account for a certain period of time to collect any fees owed, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, prevent fraud, enforce our User Agreement, or take other actions as required or permitted by law.